Please be advised that the MCC will be phasing out the Medical Council of Canada Evaluating Examination (MCCEE). November 2018 will be the final MCCEE session offered. The deadline to apply to the last session is September 30, 2018.
- On November 1, 2017 we announced a more streamlined assessment process for international medical graduates and international medical students.
- Starting in April 2019, we will be delivering the Medical Council of Canada Qualifying Examination (MCCQE) Part I in Canada and internationally to over 500 sites in 80 countries, up to five times per year.
- Once the MCCQE Part I is offered internationally, all candidates will be challenging this examination directly, without first having to pass the MCCEE.
- The timing for phasing out the MCCEE is as follows: November 2018 will be the last session. Candidates will have until mid-November 2018 to take the MCCEE. The deadline to apply to the last session is September 30, 2018.
- It is anticipated that application to the 2019 MCCQE Part I will open in October 2018.
We anticipate the following examination schedule in 2018, 2019 and 2020*:
- 2018: January, March, May, September, November
- 2019: N/A
- 2020: N/A
MCCQE Part I
- 2018: Spring and fall
- 2019: April/May, July, September/October, November
- 2020: January, April/May, July, September/October, November
*Please note that sessions are subject to change.
Candidates interested in applying to the MCCQE Part I in 2019 are encouraged to sign up to our distribution list to receive the application notification, which will be sent in fall 2018. Please visit this page, and click on the button at the top of the page to subscribe.
We are working in collaboration with Postgraduate Medical Education (PGME) Deans and residency program directors across Canada to update their exam requirements and residency program descriptions for the 2020 Canadian Resident Matching Service (CaRMS) R-1 Main Residency Match.
- As confirmed in a decision by PGME Deans, beginning with the 2020 CaRMS residency application cycle, the MCCQE Part I will replace the MCCEE as the prerequisite for IMGs applying for postgraduate medical education in Canada.
- The MCC is working diligently with PGME Deans, CaRMS and the many residency program directors across Canada to provide the timing and details for the phase-out of the MCCEE and to ensure that their information and program descriptions are updated to reflect this change.
- We will continue to update mcc.ca and mccevolution.ca in the coming months with more information on the 2019 international delivery of the MCCQE Part I.
Information resources are available if you have additional questions or concerns.
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) related to the phasing out of the MCCEE can be viewed here.
- We invite you to send questions about MCC examinations to email@example.com.
- Please note that candidates should contact CaRMS directly regarding the participation requirements for the 2019 R-1 Match. 2020 Match requirements will be updated on the IMG eligibility section on carms.ca when the final information is available.